CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Your attention, please

This is matt again, back for more. I don't post often on this blog (or any blog for that matter) but I am today because I have some news. As everyone knows I am a pretty active person and like doing just about everything, one of those is biking. I love riding in the dirt as well as on the road and have been pretty lucky thus far to avoid any serious injuries. Well, this past friday morning one of my climbing/biking buddies (and fellow REI empolyee) was riding his bike to work (he is an art teacher at an elementary school in Lindon) and was hit by a car in American Fork. His bike was crushed, as was his shoulder and face. He was taken to the A.F. hospital and then was transfered to the Utah Valley hospital via life flight. I just got back from visiting him this morning and I am pretty shaken up about it. He should be back to a fairly normal state in about 6 months. The man driving the vehicle was 78 years old with no insurance. So not only is he stuck with the medical bills but the cost of replacing his $2500 bike. KSL did a story on it and here is the link if anyone is interested: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=4273717
I know that cyclists can be annoying and sometimes they make you go really slow for a mile or so, but my message is to be patient and please be aware of folks on bikes. Sorry this post has a somber feel to it, but please be aware while driving, it will be much appreciated.

2 comments:

Annalee said...

Holy crap. That made me sick.

Can he get any help with the bills, etc? Has anyone set up a fund or anything?

Terrifying.

Emily said...

Hey Matt, do you know if they have like a fund set up to help him. I'd love to help out even if it's a little. It looks like he's a really nice guy with a good additude. Let me know if we can help. Hope he gets well soon!